If you are nearing finalization, please discuss these tasks to complete with your adoption worker and your child’s county worker. They will assist you with planning for:
- the court hearing and any court fees
- applying for a new birth certificate
- obtaining the adoption decree
- Northstar Adoption Assistance (more information below)
Additionally, you will need to complete several tasks after the adoption is finalized:
- New Medical Assistance Card:
After finalizing your child’s adoption, you must apply for a new Medical Assistance (MA) card in your county of residence. You will receive a new card with your child’s adoptive name.
- New Social Security Card:
Once you have finalized your child’s adoption, you will need to apply for a new social security card with your child’s new adoptive name. Click here: https://secure.ssa.gov to find the closest social security office to your home.
To apply for a new social security card in your child’s new adoptive name you will need to bring:
• A certified copy of the adoption decree
• Your child’s new birth certificate
• Photo IDFor security reasons, you may request a new social security number for your child. For more answers to common questions please visit the Social Security Administration website: https://faq.ssa.gov.
- Federal Tax Credit:
You can claim the tax credit if you adopted internationally, domestically, or if you adopted a child from foster care.If you are interested in learning more about the adoption tax credit, visit: https://www.nacac.org/help/adoption-tax-credit/
- Post Adoption Resources & Children’s Mental Health Services:
Accessing post-adoption resources is an important part of the adoption process! If you haven’t already accessed resources for your child and family, now is a good time to explore organizations in your area.
• Support Groups and Resources
• MN ADOPT Education Program
• MN ADOPT HELP Program
• The North American Council on Adoptable Children’s MN based Adoption Support Network (NACAC)
• Minnesota Department of Human Services
• Minnesota Association for Children’s Mental Health
• NAMI Minnesota
• Respite Care
- New Medical Assistance Card:
Here are some helpful links about Adoption Assistance:
- Adoption Assistance:
Legacy Adoption Assistance Program Overview (adoptions completed before January 1, 2015).
This link will provide instructions on reimbursement for: non-recurring expenses, childcare, respite, camp, home and vehicle modifications. It also provides information on Adoption Assistance extension after 18, Adoption Assistance and SSI, and Medical Assistance.
Northstar Adoption Assistance Program (adoptions completed after January 1, 2015
This link provides instructions on reimbursement for: non-recurring expenses, home and vehicle modifications. It also offers information on Adoption Assistance extension after 18, Adoption Assistance and SSI, and Medical Assistance.
Northstar Kinship Assistance Program (transfer of permanent legal and physical custody completed after January 1, 2015)
This link offers instructions on reimbursement for: non-recurring expenses. It also provides information on Kinship Assistance Agreement Extension after 18, Kinship Assistance, SSI, and Medical Assistance.